livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] E. Coli contamination and industrial farming

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Liz <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] E. Coli contamination and industrial farming
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 19:58:19 -0400

At 11:10 PM 5/6/2008, you wrote:
Recently the E. Coli contamination of organic spinach was mentioned and I brought up that the accepted contamination vector was wild hogs.  Some have rejected this so I decided to do a little research.  I took an online class on safe food handling and I am currently helping out on an organic vegetable farm in the San Benito Valley near Hollister, California.  The contamination took place just a few miles from where I am writing this, in fact I have seen the field.  The field is surrounded on two sides by cattle grazing and scrub land, home to the wild hogs.

Thank you for this very informative and well thought out commentary. May I quote you?

Liz in SW VA
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com