livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Aussie Hybrid Willow tree

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: <activism98201@verizon.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Aussie Hybrid Willow tree
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 06:37:59 -0500 (CDT)

Hi folks. Anyone have any experience with these trees?

Someone I know is looking to plant them as windbreaks (in southeastern
Washington).

According to the web site www.aussiewillow.com this tree is claimed to be
good for:

1. Odor control. A buffer for dairy farmers and other industries.
2. Nitrate uptake from the ground, and general phytoremediation.
3. Shade for animals and humans
4. Windbreaks
5. Privacy screens
6. LIVESTOCK FEED
7. Firewood
8. Timber/lumber
9. Noise abatement
10. Pulp
11. Nutritious garden mulch
12. Snow drift control
13. Dust control
14. Animal fence
15. Shade provides home electrical savings
16. Oxygen regeneration
17. Biomass fuel. Currently in use in The USA and elsewhere
18. Erosion control
19. Pollution control
20. A beautiful aesthetic tree

"This tree has a central tap root that goes straight down. The roots do not
spread. It is insect and drought resistant. Don’t worry about messy leaves,
it’s a clean tree!! Also, no sap drip. All this and more, plus a 50 year
trouble free life expectancy."

Given the extraordinary growth I have to wonder how viable as firewood it
could be.

Also, how can it be both food and fence to animals?

Anyway, I figure that there no better place to try and vet this out than this
group.

-Mark Nagel
Everett, WA