livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Hawaii working to link its food chain

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Liz <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Hawaii working to link its food chain
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 21:31:52 -0400

At 05:21 PM 4/18/2008, you wrote:

It may be relevant when you think about it. Milk needs to be shipped and stored right there, not flown in. But that means heavy grain for conventional dairy, and land is too expensive to grow it there or ship from the mainland. Economics is everything. It just doesn't pay to produce or drink milk in Hawaii. One of those places where grow local is the overwhelming choice.

Ultra-pasteurized milk is flown into some places. I have no idea about Hawaii, but I have a friend who manages the ISP on an island near the Cook Island chain. He has told me that all their milk comes in on the once a week plane and is ultra-pasteurized.

Liz in SW VA
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com