livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Hawaii working to link its food chain

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: speakingbeareturns@yahoo.com, livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Hawaii working to link its food chain
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 15:21:20 -0600

It may be relevant when you think about it. Milk needs to be shipped and
stored right there, not flown in. But that means heavy grain for conventional
dairy, and land is too expensive to grow it there or ship from the mainland.
Economics is everything. It just doesn't pay to produce or drink milk in
Hawaii. One of those places where grow local is the overwhelming choice.

On 4/18/2008 at 12:50 PM su do wrote:

>Although this is not revelant, my friend just got back from Hawaii where
>milk is $9.00 a gallon.

snip