livingontheland - [Livingontheland] We're on the right track. The mainstream is not.

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] We're on the right track. The mainstream is not.
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:02:25 -0600

Hey, they see the light. We're on the right track. The mainstream is not.

UN report demands urgent action on soaring food prices
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/un-report-demands-urgent-action-on-soaring-food-prices-809735.html

By James Macintyre
Wednesday, 16 April 2008

excerpt:

The global food crisis became official yesterday when the UN called for
urgent intergovernmental action and farming reforms to tackle the soaring
prices that are plunging millions of people into potentially deadly poverty.

A UN-sponsored study, compiled over three years by a panel of 400 experts,
called for more local food production using sustainable, natural and
ecological farming methods, as well as safeguards to protect rapidly
dwindling resources.

Rising food prices - one of the world's fastest-growing crises - are being
blamed on China's rapidly increasing consumption, climate change and the
increased use of biofuels, all of which heavily increase demand
disproportionately against supply.

"The status quo is no longer an option," said Guilhem Calvo, an Unesco
expert, at the report's launch in Paris. "We must develop an agriculture less
dependent on fossil fuels, that favours the use of locally available
resources."

entire article at
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/un-report-demands-urgent-action-on-soaring-food-prices-809735.html

  • [Livingontheland] We're on the right track. The mainstream is not., Tradingpost, 04/16/2008