livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Benefits of developing local food links

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Benefits of developing local food links
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 23:15:36 -0600

from the British Soil Association but the best rundown on this topic I've
seen.

paul tradingpost@lobo.net
--------------

Benefits of developing local food links (Spring 2007)
LOCAL FOOD 09/06/2007 (version 1)
http://www.soilassociation.org/web/sa/saweb.nsf/848d689047cb466780256a6b00298980/f08d76f1d5c762118025734e005a84d9!OpenDocument

Food and farming play a key role in creating our culture, landscape and
health. We can have a system that serves best the interests of a centralised
industry. Alternatively, we can place the interests of communities, the
environment and health as directors of food and farming systems. Local food
schemes bring people together to make this possible and also benefit local
economies.

1. Social benefits include

o local co-operation
o local distinctiveness and sense of belonging
o opportunities for more diverse employment
o increasing food culture
o skill and enterprise development through greater production
diversity
o breaking down social and geographic barriers
o increasing local ownership and participation
o improving communication and understanding between urban and rural
dwellers
o getting to know and trust people
o encouraging democratic control over local food production through
bottom-up development
o increasing confidence and pride in local communities

2. Environmental benefits include

o reduction in convenience packaging
o reduction in pollution from food transport
o increased diversity of landscape and wildlife
o a reduction in potential risk from agro-chemicals, through less
intensive farming practices
o lower stocking densities, vegetative regeneration from mixed
grazing and agricultural diversification
o understanding and support for distinctive local landscapes

3. Health benefits include

o improved access to fresh, less processed, affordable food
o less transportation of animals
o improved nutrient levels in food from a reduction in transport
time and storage
o reduction of potential risk from agricultural additives such as
pesticides, herbicides and fungicides
o opportunities to involve people in healthier eating activities
o less alienation from food production and a greater sense of
choice, understanding and responsibility for diet

4. Economic benefits include

o keeping money in the local economy
o local economic regeneration
o ensuring ‘added value’ goes to the producer
o encouraging entrepreneurship
o reversing the decline of rural services and depletion in food and
farming physical infrastructure
o increasing sustainable enterprise and job creation
o supporting small business and community enterprises
o reducing the externalised costs of intensive agricultural
practices such as cleaning the water supplies

  • [Livingontheland] Benefits of developing local food links, Tradingpost, 04/13/2008