livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Container Gardening 101 - Carrots

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Douglas Willhite" <drwillhite@earthlink.net>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Container Gardening 101 - Carrots
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 08:34:06 -0700

Paul,
I don't claim to be an expert, but I've been growing carrots all year around in a somewhat harsh mountain/desert climate for the past six years and I do think they're one of the easier crops for us novices to get up and running
with. Grow lights and heat lamps are not cost effective. But that's what season extenders, solariums, covered patios, and the like are for. It's true that the smaller the pot, the quicker the soil dries out, so larger
containers are better. But a lot of folks I know are living in condos and apartments with limited space and container gardens are a way for them to move toward food self-sufficiency.
Doug