livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Could we really run out of food?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dan Conine <dconine@bertramwireless.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Could we really run out of food?
  • Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 13:26:00 -0500

Investing in 'agricultural companies' is the story that created the later story in the digest: Monsanto.

The 'investment' mentality may be the paradigm we are used to hearing about and expect to follow demand and supply, but in a Depression secenario, there is only one 'investor', and that will be the government.
Unfortunately, the government won't be investing in gardens. The government will (maybe) stand up, take a look around for the biggest sources of food and distribution, and put tax money to 'work', using those systems that are already in place to 'feed the public'.

At least, that's how the government THINKS when it comes to 'serving the needs of the public'. They think big, and act big. In today's world, however, that would have all the success that the USSR's centralized food planning system did and result in starvation. The reason I think so is because of the lack of oil to support the centralized system.

So, we already see what's coming; it's been done before and failed and the way people dealt with it was to have their gardens in secret, and when the government failed, they still had their own gardens.

We need to continue what we have been doing on this list: growing our own food as though there isn't any other food, and as though money isn't going to be around to buy 'products'.

Perhaps I am too optimistic that I will get to live through the coming disaster. I don't know, but it makes the saying "be the change you wish to see in the world" a little more heartening when we already see the change coming around to where we already are.

Just in case my predictions aren't credentialed enough because I didn't go to college, (I got drunk in the Navy instead) here's something from the rest of the world that so graciously came from the 'other list'...
International experts foresee collapse of U.S. economy
https://lists.riseup.net/www/arc/globalnetnews-summary/2008-03/msg00072.html

Good luck with that 'future' thing.

Dan C.

He just doesn't get it - investing in those kinds of companies doesn't plant one more potato.

Could we really run out of food?
http://finance.sympatico.msn.ca/Investing/JonMarkman/Article.aspx?cp-documentid=6424206

Biofuel production, poor harvests and emerging nations' growing appetites are
emptying the world's pantry, sending prices soaring. It's a good time to
invest in agricultural stocks.
By Jon Markman
March 06, 2008