livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Can we get safe food anymore without growing it?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Can we get safe food anymore without growing it?
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 18:27:00 -0600

March 11, 2008
http://action.foe.org/pressRelease.jsp?press_release_KEY=343
NANOTECH EXPOSED IN GROCERY STORE AISLES

[Rachel's introduction: Untested nanotechnology products are being used in
more than 100 food products, food packaging and contact materials currently
on the grovery shelf, without warning or new FDA testing,]

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Untested nanotechnology is being used in more than 100
food products, food packaging and contact materials currently on the shelf,
without warning or new FDA testing, according to a report released March 11,
2008 by Friends of the Earth.

The report, Out of the Laboratory and onto Our Plates: Nanotechnology in Food
and Agriculture, found nanomaterials in popular products and packaging
including Miller Light beer, Cadbury Chocolate packaging and ToddlerHealth, a
nutritional drink powder for infants sold extensively at health food stores
including WholeFoods.

"Nanotech food was put on our plates without FDA testing for consumer
safety," said Ian Illuminato, Friends of the Earth Health and Environment
Campaigner. "Consumers have a right to know if they are taste-testing a
dangerous new technology."

Existing regulations require no new testing or labeling for nanomaterials
when they are created from existing approved chemicals, despite major
differences in potential toxicity. The report reveals toxicity risks of
nanomaterials such as organ damage and decreased immune system response.

"Nanotechnology can be very dangerous when used in food," said report
co-author Dr Rye Senjen. "Early scientific evidence indicates that some
nanomaterials produce free radicals which destroy or mutate DNA and can cause
damage to the liver and kidneys."

Report co-author Georgia Miller, Friends of the Earth Australia
Nanotechnology Project Coordinator, said many of the world's largest food
companies, including Heinz, Nestle, Unilever and Kraft are currently using
and testing nanotechnology for food processing and packaging. Without
increased federal oversight, these companies could begin sale of these
products whenever they choose.

"There is no legal requirement for manufacturers to label their products that
contain nanomaterials, or to conduct new safety tests," said Miller. "This
gives manufacturers the ability to force-feed untested technology to
consumers without their consent."

Nanotechnology, the manipulation of matter at the scale of atoms and
molecules, is now used to manufacture nutritional supplements, flavor and
colors additives, food packaging, cling wrap and containers, and chemicals
used in agriculture.

"Friends of the Earth calls on the FDA to stop the sale of all nano food,
packaging, and agricultural chemicals until strong scientific regulations are
enacted to ensure consumer safety and until ingredients are labeled," said
Illuminato.

The report, released internationally today in the U.S., Europe and Australia
details more than a hundred nano food, food packaging and food contact
products now on sale internationally. The Australian government has already
welcomed the report and announced that it will begin exploring regulation of
nano food and nano agriculture as a result of the report. The full report can
be found at www.foe.org.

  • [Livingontheland] Can we get safe food anymore without growing it?, Tradingpost, 03/13/2008