livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Mini Farming for self-sufficiency book

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Mini Farming for self-sufficiency book
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 15:16:32 -0600

First, nobody's going to sell all that produce to a SINGLE neighbor, but to
a number of people at some other venue. Second, it is being done, and I
know because I'm getting closer to it in just my second year in this
location. And in a poor growing climate besides. And I'm 64, no spring
chicken. Now I do have reservations about his claims - tho neither of us
has read the book yet - such as the fact that those results can't be
achieved in a lot of soils and climates, or by people with physical
limitations, or by the vast majority of overeducated fools who couldn't
find their butt with both hands in broad daylight. Further, the first two
or three years in such a project will be demanding physically and demanding
of your time and money - tho I have done most of this on a shoestring. You
don't rake in $50 an hour to start in ANY business. And you don't start
big, since there's a learning curve. Otherwise perfectly doable.

The problem with finding fault with the guy is, people don't have a choice
but to make it work. Some reassure themselves that food and gas and
everything else aren't going to keep going up, aren't going to double in
two or three years, or they'll win the lottery. And they figure the
government will do something to save us. Read the foreign papers on the
Internet. See what they're keeping from us here in Never-Never Land.