livingontheland - [Livingontheland] good farmers market source

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] good farmers market source
  • Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 12:55:43 -0700

Tameson, here's a good start with sources to research. A lot there.
http://www.foodroutes.org/whycare_docs/LocGrownOtherColor.pdf

After seeing what I just sent, Barb (as usual) started pointing out things
I missed. One in particular: first go visit markets in your area. You want
to go where you're wanted. Some markets have problems. Talk to vendors and
the market manager. Ask about their costs and rules and produce prices.
Look and note which growers are selling the most and why. We visited
several before starting last year, including the Santa Fe market. It's one
of the top ten and one of the oldest in the U.S. with a nonprofit institute
behind them for long term funding. But we found a couple others smaller and
less expensive to get started with. Look up markets in your area at
localharvest.org .