livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Early Roots of the Organic Movement

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Early Roots of the Organic Movement
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 13:50:31 -0800 (PST)

Yes Dan, the analogy goes that far: pesticides, herbicides and so
on for the soil; antibiotics etc. for the body. Anything, as long as
it will kill life, apparently competing with our own life. One day we
will wake up to find that we cannot sustain our own life on this
planet without all these other life forms we are so busily killing
off.

Dieter

Daniel Conine <dconine@bertramwireless.com> wrote:
Ironically, Dieter, I read a book called "Our Second Brain" which describes our gut as analagous to holding an ecosystem outside of our actual bodies because it is isolated by another skin which forms the alimentary canal, and that our intestines draw nutrients from the foods and activity of the gut like plants draw nutrients from the soil. We should treat the gut like we take care of a garden, in other words. Dumping poisons (alcohol, antibiotics) or indigestible stuff or too much of any one thing isn't good. We could go into a whole book of analogies about meat alone....(attracting pests, etc.)

Things to make you go "huh".

Dan C.
Belgium,WI