livingontheland - [Livingontheland] The World's healthiest food: Broccoli

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] The World's healthiest food: Broccoli
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 09:21:52 -0800 (PST)

Broccoli against a wide range of cancers:

"broccoli contains the phytonutrients sulforaphane and the indoles,
which have significant anti-cancer effects ... Indole-3-carbinol has
been shown to suppress not only breast tumor cell growth, but also
cancer cell metastasis ... "
"... sulforaphane boosts the body's detoxification enzymes ... thus
helping to clear potentially carcinogenic substances more quickly ...
sulforaphane, ... also has ... ability to induce cell growth arrest and
cell death via apoptosis ... in both leukemia and melanoma cells."
"Sulforaphane may also offer special protection to those with colon
cancer-susceptible genes ..."
"Our research has substantiated the connection between diet and
cancer prevention, and it is now clear that the _expression_ of cancer-
related genes can be influenced by chemopreventive compounds in
the things we eat."
"... indole-3-carbinol (I3C) has a potent antiproliferative effect" in
human prostate cancer cells, ..."
"Crucifers Cut Risk of Bladder Cancer"
"... broccoli rich in a flavonoid called kaempferol ...  40% reduction
in risk of ovarian cancer ..."
"When tomatoes and broccoli are eaten together, we see an
additive effect. ..."

Read full article at:

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=9

Dieter Brand