livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] SPAM-MED: Livingontheland Digest, Vol 126, Issue 5

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Daniel Conine <dconine@bertramwireless.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] SPAM-MED: Livingontheland Digest, Vol 126, Issue 5
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 09:51:17 -0600

> The trouble
>   is there is so much advice about what to eat and what not, what pills to take
>   or what exercise to do. Which leads to a creeping suspicion that much of
>   it is not serious.  ~Dieter

This is always the kicker--people have grown weary with so much
contradictory theory, so many gurus trying to get rich pushing a fad.
Information fatigue, theory fatigue, fad fatigue, magic-bullet fatigue.
Where can we find a solid guiding principle to help us sort it all out?

For starters:  http://westonaprice.org/

~Harvey

The simplest guiding principle that I could think of was the idea of Net Creativity. That is, all Life (and even more, actually) succeeds in the long term because it creates some kind of future usefulness over and above what it consumes in resources. We (humans) have created so much technology without this principle that it is extremely difficult to take a step back and ask "do I need this?" or "Does this contribute more to my grandchildren than it costs?".
 The diet suggestions ultimately come down to what Weston Price came up with: what does my diet do to improve the life in the soil? If you eat things that make the soil better (local, managed grazing animals, diverse foods, low or no-till, return waste to the soil, etc), then you will see long-term improvements in health. If you constantly look for quick fixes from a plastic bottle made in Karjakistan....well, you get the idea. It's a general rule. I'll tell my grandchildren to let you know how it works out.

Dan C
Belgium,WI

  • Re: [Livingontheland] SPAM-MED: Livingontheland Digest, Vol 126, Issue 5, Daniel Conine, 01/27/2008