livingontheland - [Livingontheland] animal feed

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Dianne Palmer-Quay" <dpalmerquay@gmail.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] animal feed
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 11:48:02 -0500

I am trying Tagasaste this year as an supplemental animal feed.  I have purchased the seeds from Bountiful Gardens www.bountifulgardens.org (the seed catalog side of Ecology Action - the John Jeavons/How to Grow More Vegetables group).  Evidently it is a shrub that can be used for forage and it has a good tolerance for drought conditions.  People are using it in Australia.  Google it for more information.  I have also set aside garden space for velvet beans, millet and perhaps sorghum for cut and carry forage. Anyone who has experience in feeding small ruminants with a cut and carry system - please share ideas.

Dianne (who expects to run out of her current hay supply in early June)