livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Infinite amounts of brush, mulch, wood...

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Infinite amounts of brush, mulch, wood...
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 15:43:44 -0800 (PST)

>After the ice storm disaster, ...

This reminds me, Canadian researcher Pierre Lemieux proposed,
after le verglas that devastated much of Canada’s forests, using
Ramified Wood Chip mulch for restoring fertility in agricultural
land. Lemieux conducted field tests with thick layers (several
inches) of wood chip mulch. He recommended using a nitrogen
source like manure to offset the effect of the carbon-rich woody
material.

Much of our land is covered by bushes, scrubs and trees and
we always have a plentiful supply of woody material; however,
unlike Lemieux, I prefer to use thin layers (less than an
inch) of woody mulches more frequently, and I don’t need a
nitrogen source.

I tried composting, but woody material isn’t ideal for composting.
Next time, I will try inoculating the heap with fungi by spreading
a little soil from the forested part of our land. It will probably
take longer than a normal compost heap, but that doesn’t matter.

Apart from mulching your garden you can also spread it on
walkways, especially in muddy places, for walking on. Once it
is decomposed you can still move it to the vegetable beds.

I do spread a thin layer on grassland and find it helps to improve
the soil, but we are in a semi-arid region, and things may be
different where you are. And I don’t know if your cows would
like it, if you have any.

You could also make raised beds European-style by first heaping
branches and other stuff which is then covered by layers of soil,
compost and mulch. I don’t use raised beds, they dry out to
easily, but if drought is not an issue were you are this may be
an option.

There is also a French guy, Jean Pain, who uses huge heaps of
wood chips to generate most of the energy on his farm. He has
a boiler or something like that inside the heap which transmits
the composting heat. When one heap is done he uses the compost
on the farm and builds another for his energy system.

I don’t have a shredder, so shredding can be a bit of a problem.
I use a power cutter with a hacking device for shredding thin
branches. If you use no-till and are courageous enough, you can
also try using unshredded branches on you vegetable beds.

I have heard about somebody who got rid of Bermuda grass
with half-decayed wood chips, I’m little doubtful though.

Dieter Brand
Portugal

Laurie Ann Powell <laurie@powellclan.com> wrote:
After the ice storm disaster, those of us in Northeast OK have available
huge amounts of brush wood and mulch.

I'd like suggestions for as many uses for these as possible for soil
remediation and rapid decomposition in our zone.

I'm thinking the tool is to hand for dealing with bermuda, for starters,
as suggested by some on this list. I will mulch heavily and plant
things that do well under mulch. I'm also thinking I can do brush
fencing by placing t-posts at 4 foot spacing and weaving.

Is there a way to benefit the pasture without choking out the beneficial
prairie grass? Good ways to use ash from people who are burning their
brush?

Other suggestions?

Oh! And those of you who live elsewhere, I expect firewood to be a real
bargain here over the summer, so if you have a truck, come on down...

Laurie Ann