livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Infinite amounts of brush, mulch, wood...

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Laurie Ann Powell <laurie@powellclan.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Infinite amounts of brush, mulch, wood...
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 07:01:01 -0600

After the ice storm disaster, those of us in Northeast OK have available
huge amounts of brush wood and mulch.

I'd like suggestions for as many uses for these as possible for soil
remediation and rapid decomposition in our zone.

I'm thinking the tool is to hand for dealing with bermuda, for starters,
as suggested by some on this list. I will mulch heavily and plant
things that do well under mulch. I'm also thinking I can do brush
fencing by placing t-posts at 4 foot spacing and weaving.

Is there a way to benefit the pasture without choking out the beneficial
prairie grass? Good ways to use ash from people who are burning their
brush?

Other suggestions?

Oh! And those of you who live elsewhere, I expect firewood to be a real
bargain here over the summer, so if you have a truck, come on down...

Laurie Ann