livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] breaking news

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] breaking news
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 14:57:58 -0700

I don't want to get too far off into this but you can keep up at
http://investdb.theglobeandmail.com/invest/investSQL/gx.index_today?pi_symbo
l=DJIA-I

The 52-week high was 14,198 and it dropped to 11,630, currently at 11,971.
Why bring this up? It's only one piece of the puzzle most people can't see,
thanks to mainstream media. Because a lot of pensions are being lost, among
many other things (and people trying to pay mortages out of credit cards
and 401k's. And all credible indications are it's headed off the cliff at
some point in the not-to-distant future. As reports show, this involves the
entire economy and the rest of the world, at a time when boomers are trying
to retire and go on SS and medicare, when government debt and consumer debt
are at all time highs, and oil has peaked and climate changes are playing
havoc and world food stocks are at historic lows, and most good
manufacturing jobs are outsourced overseas. Ethanol crops are eating into
our food budgets, freshwater supplies are getting more expensive, and land
degradation is spreading. Too many chickens are coming home to roost all at
once. I'd advise keeping up with these things and form your own
conclusions.

The consensus of most analysts is, expect much higher food and consumer
goods prices while assets including homes deflate and unemployment goes up.
To me it looks certain the economy is tanking and world markets are telling
us there's nothing the politicians in Foggy Bottom can do about it. The
only thing they want to stimulate is votes. It's way past time to plan for
more security and local independence from outside disruptions. This means
local food and practical skills for everyday living. It means finding work
on the land for the unemployed, in rural communities where cost of living
can be tolerable. This isn't bunker mentality or fanatic survivalism, guns
and all. It's about networking and living local. Conditions will vary
greatly from place to place. People can dismiss any or all of it if they
want, but our history is full of hardships and economic crises, and those
who stay close to the land have always survived more comfortably. I'm
passing it on, make of it what you will.