livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] cement soil (Paul)

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] cement soil (Paul)
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 08:49:03 -0700

Not a whole sidewalk but a slab to experiment. It was 2x4s, unreinforced.
Sources say avoid soil with organic matter, plant roots etc; use plain
dirt. I used 10% Portland, 90% dirt, and after mixing it thoroughly I added
water gradually and mixed to get it to a consistency to pour. Like any
concrete don't let it freeze for a few days until it cures. Water and
Portland content may vary so you need to experiment. This is a lot cheaper
than regular cement mix but for a sidewalk I'd use remesh in it. Now
Portland is the more expensive bag around $7-8 here, but the regular bag
mix runs around $3 and is used straight, so with 90% of your mix being soil
the soil cement is much cheaper than regular concrete. Prices are about to
change dramatically tho.