livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] grain crop getting consumed by cars

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Daniel Conine <dconine@bertramwireless.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] grain crop getting consumed by cars
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 20:52:51 -0600

The price of grain tied to the price of oil works both ways. If farmers plant 30% more grain in anticipation of high oil prices and high demand for grain to drive cars, then the reverse can happen if the economy crashes and people stop driving cars. The price of grain would crash, too.
The transportation/oil/grain/speculation circle is teetering along with the stock market right now: based upon the perception of Perpetual Growth. The stock market just went down 300 points because the Fed says there is a problem and they will need to lower interest rates. Too late. Now we have to start looking at how to get people fed who have no money, by a system that is going to be bankrupt (because people aren't working because they aren't buying houses because they can't borrow money because the price of houses and construction are inflated and there are more houses than potatoes), and without half of the oil it used to have (because China will use our money to buy what's left of the oil and use lots of cheap soldiers and cheap guns to hold on to it).

We will have to rebuild an economy from the land, without oil. I don't know why I'm still sitting in front of the computer. I've got a lot of work to do now.
(Unless, of course, Dick C lets G.W. reveal the energy secrets they have been hiding for 60 years.)

Dan C.
Belgium, WI

More of US Grain Crop to be Consumed by Family Car
http://www.planetark.com/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/46428/story.htm
US: January 16, 2008

WASHINGTON - Almost a third of the US grain crop next year may be diverted
from the family dinner table to the family car as fuel, putting upward
pressure on food prices, a leading expert warned on Tuesday.

Grain prices are near record levels as the United States produces more
ethanol, now made mostly from corn, to blend with gasoline and stretch
available motor fuel supplies.

Farmers, hoping to cash in, are expected to grow 30 percent of next year's
grain crop for ethanol use as more refineries that process corn into fuel
come online, according to Lester Brown, president of the Earth Policy
Institute and long-time critic of using food grains for fuel.

"The price of grain is now tied to the price of oil," Brown said at the
Reuters Global Agriculture and Biofuel Summit.