livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Biochar, is it really all that's it's cracked up to be?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Liz <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Biochar, is it really all that's it's cracked up to be?
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 12:02:33 -0500

At 08:11 AM 1/13/2008, you wrote:

It is the same thing with SPIN farming, Square Foot gardening and Lasange gardening. It is marketing gimmicks. Maybe I should become famous with Pentagon Farming. That just came to mind. Fool people five ways?

I might disagree with you about some of the marketing labels (much as I dislike current marketing practices!). "Lasagna" gardening, for example, is a cute title (sells books, in other words) for simple no-till gardening. I didn't find much of anything new in it that I wasn't already doing, but I know people who have completely stopped using a tiller, or doing double-digging, because of that book. It also appeals to people who think they can't garden because of age or physical disability. So in this case, at least, the marketing people managed to package something attractively that really does have some value.

Now SPIN farming I know nothing about, and probably don't want to know anything about, lol!

Liz in SW VA
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com