livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] roto-tillers

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] roto-tillers
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 15:02:16 -0700

And with all due respect to you, and I share your enthusiasm for humus (we
started this list as Soilmakers) - I know of the New Mexico company you
mention. As I recall, the only "proven" example the guy provided turned out
to be a place in AZ that actually had been composted for 15 years already.
I'm not saying there's no benefit in their products, just that the burden
of proof is on their commercial products, not on me to disprove them. I'm
naturally skeptical about miracle shortcuts. Last I heard he was
threatening to sue me for "commercial disparagement". I'm not selling
anything. Based on what I've seen the necessary microbes are already
present in most soils and need only the organic amendments to make the
populations blossom and go to work. And of course the composted materials
are needed ayway to build healthy soil structure. So I'd say that
commercial concoctions are not realistic substitutes for composted
materials and other needed amendments, and if you've got those materials
then the microbes, bacteria and mycorrhizal fungi will be there already
with the food they need to build humus. There can be no patent on soil
microbes or methods of growing healthy soil.