livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] roto-tillers

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] roto-tillers
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 19:57:12 -0700

Lynn, I was slow to understand the whys and wherefores of no-till and how
to manage without tilling. After seeing what Ken had to say I started
researching. Here are some of the results. The one thing I can't get around
is the hard fact that plowing and cultivation expose more soil to the air
and that oxidizes humus and decomposing organic matter, and we can't build
up soil organic matter levels when we keep tilling.

You've been growing here longer than we have. But as you pointed out, the
soil eats organic matter to the point that raw organic matter is added,
bypassing the usual composting, and one can never get enough of it into the
soil to help retain moisture and keep friability up. I have the same soil
an hour SE of you as the crow flies, in the Estancia valley. In spring I
dug permanent beds initially and framed them and built them up somewhat by
working in my mix of aged manure, alfalfa meal, more soil, and trace
amendments. I concentrated all of it on the beds instead of the permanent
aisles. I mulched with straw and only watered weekly. Productivity our very
first year was better than we've ever had in the past, while no one around
here seems to be able to grow anything but rabbit brush. BTW I only weeded
once before the onions were mulched. With intensive beds we got far more
production from the space than we'd have got with single rows, and saved a
lot of water. Result is we raise production without expanding the garden
and work required.

This year we don't turn the beds at all but just add a top layer of the
same mix and mulch, and let the snow and rain do the rest.

WHY NO- TILLAGE?
http://www.rolf-derpsch.com/notill.htm

Less is more: No-till agriculture helps mitigate global warming
U.S. Department of Energy
http://www.eurekalert.org/features/doe/2005-09/dnnl-lim091605.php

No-till, permanent bed farming by Ken Hargesheimer from the July/August,
2002 issue of Countryside & Small Stock Journal
http://www.countrysidemag.com/issues/86/86-4/Ken_Hargesheimer.html

Economics drive many farmers to no-till planting
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_415344.html

NO-TILL FARMING OFFERS A QUICK FIX TO HELP WARD OFF HOST OF GLOBAL PROBLEMS
http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/notill.htm

No-till.com links to no-till organizations from around the world
http://www.no--till.com/switchboard.htm

A Guide to Creating a No-Till Garden
http://www.dacres.org/No-Till%20Garden.htm

THE NO-TILL + PAGE
http://www.newfarm.org/depts/notill/index.shtml

Missouri No-Till Planting Systems Manual, MU Extension
http://extension.missouri.edu/xplor/manuals/m00164.htm

No-Till FAQs, Rodale
http://www.newfarm.org/depts/notill/faqs.shtml

No-till garden beds save water and labor
http://extension.oregonstate.edu/news/story.php?S_No=870&storyType=garde

Scientist: No-Till’s Biggest Obstacle is ’Mindset’
http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/news/sty/2002/notill_farming011502.htm

No -Till Gardening
http://www.floydcountyinview.com/notillgardening.html

Soil fertility distributions in long-term no-till, chisel/disk and
moldboard plow/disk systems
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6TC6-4G63J18-2
&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000
050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=55272a3427678e3d63384
7f31038588e

a No-Till Tactic on Global Warming (washingtonpost.com)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&node=&contentI
d=A55389-2002Aug23&notFound=true