livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Cool climate tomato growing

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dan Conine <dconine@bertramwireless.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Cool climate tomato growing
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 11:36:20 -0600

I agree. We stopped using Early Girl because it just didn't taste that good. I would rather grow the better tasting varieties than get to market first. Still looking for early good tasters.
We did grow Moskvich, and they were pretty good producers. Flavor was better than average, but not remarkable. I will grow it again in a different spot (I have some variety of soil type) and see how it tastes. Didn't do very well in the hoop house, but we had pollination problems that year, also.

Dan
Belgium,WI
Message: 32
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 10:08:09 -0700
From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>

Interesting. I'd rather give long season tomatoes some early protection
rather than grow an earlier one that doesn't get rave reviews.
Anyone else tried Sophie's Choice, Moskvich, or Black Cherry? How about
Matt's Wild Cherry?