livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Garden Planning

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: "McBride & Putnam" <dragonhill2@netzero.net>, livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Garden Planning
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 11:38:28 -0700

Whatever works. Putting it on paper also keeps it safe if the computer does
down. Or if the power goes out. And things get out of hand if we try to
keep it all in our head. Like you say, certain things have to be done at a
certain time, and other things have to be out of the way first. I've found
this to be the biggest hangup in getting the garden startup and maintenance
done. I've even made "to do" lists but have trouble following them. Some
jobs take a lot longer than time allotted, and then there's the weather.
Helps to prioritize somewhat. Right now I'm trying to set up to do starter
plants in one end of the greenhouse walled off from the rest for heat. An
early start on the farmers market is at stake. But too much wind and cold.
Meanwhile the beds are too frozen to finish topping off with aged manure
and molasses and fish emulsion, and the new ones really need to cook a
couple months before the first onions and carrots go in. Oh well.