livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Discussion with a Chef

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>
  • To: "Living on the Land" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Discussion with a Chef
  • Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 07:51:48 -0600

I had an interesting discussion with a chef yesterday.  She is in charge of meals at a high-end Baptist school in Houston and feeds 1,000 meals a day to kids from kindergarten to 8th grade.  As upper-middle class members, the parents of her students demand the best food for their kids, and that means organic, locally produced, as much as possible.  I was surprised that, with all the resources she has, she finds it difficult to get the food she wants in Houston, and is forced to use conventional food.  She is able to articulate the idea that people like her, with the financial resources, can help build the market so that there is more good food available for all, if producers can respond to the demand.

I gave her the name of the president of TOFGA in the hope that he can hook her up with some farmers.  Yup, folks, the market is there; the farmers aren't.  Why not?

E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
www.hillcountrynatives.biz