livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Fwd: NO-TILL FARMING OFFERS A QUICK FIX TO HELP WARD OFF HOST OF GLOBAL PROBLEMS

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Marty Kraft <martyk@allspecies.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Fwd: NO-TILL FARMING OFFERS A QUICK FIX TO HELP WARD OFF HOST OF GLOBAL PROBLEMS
  • Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 10:03:38 -0600

I'm still learning and clarifying by being the middle person here. This is my friends response to Ken's and Paul's emails that I forwarded on to him. He knows little of the history of your various comments on the list. Thanks for taking the time.

Marty

Begin forwarded message:

Date: December 23, 2007 3:05:02 PM CST

Marty,

I'll try to take this one step at a time

Ken is talking about knocking down a cover crop. What is he going to knock it down with? Most likely a burn down chemical, or maybe a disk.

Paul is talking about tillage bringing weed seed to the surface. That is correct, but if you do tillage after dark you will reduce weed pressure by 80 to 90 percent. Once again, if you have a weed supressing cover crop it will need to be killed before you plant the cash crop. If you don't kill the cover crop, the seed from that will be the next round of weeds.

One thing that might have lead the group a little off course is that I raise much more than just wheat. I do try to use covercrops aggressively between the row crops to enhance fertility and control weeds. Another point is that most of the weeds indicate an imbalance in the soil. If you get the nutrients back in balance, the weeds will go away. Another thing is that I must stay inside the confines of organic certification. I would guess that most of the persons that reply to you are not capable of that either.

Aloha,

Lee

Here is one email response.

Marty