livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Bermuda Grass

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Phil Bunch" <pbunch@cox.net>
  • To: "'Healthy soil and sustainable growing'" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Bermuda Grass
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 05:20:44 -0800

Was: institutional gardens/ was NO-TILL

It takes a minimum of two years to be sure the stuff is gone.  One must dig and carefully inspect or sift each shovel full of soil. Even then one generally misses a few rhizomes which sprout rapidly. Seeds also remain or move back into the cleared plot. If you plant into a recently cleared area you have to remove any resprouted Bermuda immediately even if it means losing part of your planting. No mercy. If any is left nearby you must make sure it does not go to seed. I have been most successful by digging an area a year before it was to be planted and watering it during the growing season to encourage resprouting and seed germination. Even after a season or two, seeds will continue to come up. Constant vigilance is necessary. This time is not completely wasted as you can incorporate organic matter and nutrients during the quarantine period.