livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] question on no-till planting an old pasture

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Ken Hargesheimer <minifarms2@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] question on no-till planting an old pasture
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 05:17:34 -0800 (PST)

No-till row planters and no-till drills are available.  With five acres you may not need such equipment; just do it by hand but that depends on the crops you are going to grow.

It might be wise to mark off the beds and plow it due to the sod. I have no experience in this situation but I am sure others here do. If it were mine, I would mark off the beds and cover them with mulch over winter [or plant a winter cover crop?] and plant next spring. It may be covered in snow all winter??  ¡¡In that case, I would move south!!

Ken Hargesheimer

Ken Hargesheimer

Bobby G <bobbyg53211@yahoo.com> wrote:
does this take a particular kind of heavy-duty
planting drill or something? bobby g.
wisc.