livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Emergency Power

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "bruce smith" <cityhomesteader@gmail.com>
  • To: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>, "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Emergency Power
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 12:50:07 -0500

Thanks so much for these tips.. 1st thing I'm going to do is buy a small used truck.. 2nd get a woodstove.. We are also looking into converting over to a wood/oil furnace..A lot of the cost will be double lining the chimney.. they say $2000 just for the steel liner and the BIG GUY only knows what for the woodstove pipe liner.. New at this.. so I don't have a clue?
I know it has to be done.  We have insultated and replaced all the windows with very good low e ones.. we bought oil in April and we still have A half tank. The tank takes 250 gallons.
We keep the automatic thermostat at 60 during the day and 55 at night.. We also have an oil hot water heater, so I think we are doing well so far..  Wood can be gotten for free here in my area of CT for the asking, and there are tons of places giving away pallets..Thus the need for a truck..