livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Additional pressure on food availability

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: yarrow@sfo.com
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Additional pressure on food availability
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 21:56:47 -0800

At 9:35 AM -0700 12/12/07, TradingPostPaul wrote:
I lived in your area when I was little in the late '40s. One would think
that the rural poor in the Appalachians would still carry on the self
sufficient traditions of their forebears. Many would still be living on the
same land. Perhaps it's the food stamps etc. that have weaned so many away
from growing what they can. How did they get by a hundred years ago, and
why not now?

Maybe it's something like what happened in Ladakh. Helena Norberg-Hodge first went there as a translator and was impressed by the peoples' attitudes, that they had everything they needed, and lots of time for celebrations. Some years later she returned. In the interim, trekkers had been through and the people who lived in Ladakh had been exposed to the trinkets of western culture. She told of meeting the same people, who were now begging from western tourists, and they told her, we are so poor.