livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Additional pressure on food availability

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Aliza" <realfood@wonderfulfarm.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Additional pressure on food availability
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 21:12:22 -0800

But there are some businesses that are picking up the slack. Azure Standard delivers all over the west. There prices are competative with my local organic coop and the warehouse type store that stocks lots of organic produce (local and national origin) and comercial foods. For a $400 minimum they will make a drop with no shipping. Groups of folks get together and have the food dropped at a central location. Azure Standard is/was an organic beef and wheat farm in northeastern Oregon so it is possible to get all the commodaties like recycled toilet paper and organic
q-tips as well as raw milk and cheese, some produce like boxes of avocados, grain/flour as well as frozen meat and comercial brands like Annies or cascadian farms items like frozen berries or cereal etc. You can also get farm supplies from fencing equiptment to organic thorvin kelp and redmonds salt.

If you are in the western united states and have difficulty getting some of these types of items it is worth a shot. I only use them for redmonds salt/conditioner, kelp meal and my canning jars as I am lucky to live in an area where organic local foods are the norm.

And yes the real difference that will make the difference is when we produce much of what we eat ourselves - The 30-50 families that get milk and yogurt from me are 30-50 families that arent buying dairy at the grocery store. I also supply cultures at cost for my customers so they can make their own cheeses and yogurt. I like to trade for produce that I dont grow as well as services. My chiropractor is a milk trade for her adopted baby.

Aliza
----- Original Message ----- From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>