livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Healthier foods getting more costly, study says

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Healthier foods getting more costly, study says
  • Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 10:34:28 -0700

With so many families working two jobs, and so many single parent families,
so much fast food and microwaveable food, basic cooking skills have been
lost. It doesn't help that extended families hardly exist where elders can
teach the young. Who'll teach the children basic cooking, housekeeping, and
how to work? My partner was telling my daughter in law that she ought to
stock up on basics like flour - who then asked, but what can you do with
flour??? And something important has been lost when so many youngsters have
no way to learn and practice basic work skills. You don't get this in
school. Esp not with a Piled Higher & Deeper degree. Anything that needs
fixing around the house, people call a plumber or electrician or landscaper
or whatever. I grew up using hand tools. My partner grew up cooking Italian
and helping her father garden. We find the grandkids eager to help in our
garden but their parents know nothing about it. Maybe there's still hope
for the next generation.