livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Healthier foods getting more costly, study says

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: three feathers <threecrowfeathers@yahoo.com>
  • To: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>, Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Healthier foods getting more costly, study says
  • Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 06:31:19 -0800 (PST)

Yes, it does take a bit more effort and planning to be creative, using the basics like spuds, rice, bread and pasta while staying withing the budgetary boundary.  I like the challenge of making menu schedules, seeing how well we can eat with the budget i have to work with.

However, spuds, white rice, white breads, white pastas---that are most affordable to lower income families---are all foods that are detrimental to people who have to watch their "glycemic numbers," due to blood sugar count and blood pressure.....the "white foods"

Which is why lower income families have a higher rate of diabetes, high BP and weight problems......because of the "white foods".......because that's what they can afford

Whole wheat/whole grain breads and pastas are best, as is brown rice, but those are still outside some budgets, especially if the family is large and the incoming income is not. Sweet potatoes are affordable---and highly nutritious, but how many folks eat them outside the holidays?

I have my own family to look after, but i worry over the "dietary plight" of the growing number of families who are finding it more difficult to buy healthy foods.......what will they do, as food prices soar even higher?  Buy the family size bag of Cheetos?  :-0)

threefeathers

"E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net> wrote:
Virtually every generation, at some point, has had to learn how to "get by" on potatoes, rice, bread, pasta, vegetables, cheap cuts of meat (occasionally).  It takes a bit more effort, but it is worth doing.

threefeathers
Write your sorrows in sand & your Blessings in stone