livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Fertiliser at a price – if you can get it

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Fertiliser at a price – if you can get it
  • Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 06:55:35 -0700

Fertiliser at a price – if you can get it
http://www.farmersguardian.com/story.asp?sectioncode=1&storycode=14704

News | 28 November, 2007
By Howard Walsh

A LOGISTICAL supply problem with fertilisers in spring 2008 is now a
reality not a possibility, say fertiliser companies.

World demand is outstripping supply and farmers are being advised not only
to make sure they have ordered what they need, but to take delivery and
make sure they have it.

"This coming season, the most likely situation is a shortage,” said
Yara’s England and Wales business manager Steven Chisholm.

World demand for grain production for both feed and biofuel was currently
outstripping supply and that was driving the demand for fertilisers.

"All I would say is order it and get it delivered – ownership will be
nine tenths of the law this spring.”

At GrowHow UK, the recently formed Kemira/Terra joint venture operation,
marketing manager Ken Bowler said we were living in “unprecedented
times” as far as the fertiliser market was concerned.

"We are sold forward for a few months now and are not actually offering
product at the moment but we will re-issue prices when we have a better fix
on the situation,” he said.

"There is very good reason this year for having a soil anlaysis done and
therefore not spending money on a type of fertiliser you might not need,”
he said.

Importer Gleadell said there was no end in sight to the uptrend in urea
many markets were still very short of material for spring 2008.

"India still need to buy more tonnes for December and with time and product
running out fast in China expect this bull run to continue well in to
2008,” said a spokesman.

And while UK farmers might be cringing at current prices, they were even
higher in some markets and ammonium nitrate for example was not arriving in
any volumes as vessels went elsewhere to more lucrative destinations than
the UK.

  • [Livingontheland] Fertiliser at a price – if you can get it, TradingPostPaul, 12/05/2007