livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] US Food banks & the recession

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Bobby G <bobbyg53211@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] US Food banks & the recession
  • Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 18:43:03 -0800 (PST)

--- livingontheland-request@lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

(paraphrasing the storyline) "My God(ess), we do have
to get food to the people." That has to be part of the
meaning of sustainability. But a Farm Bill "reform"
which merely puts more food in the food pantries is
not much of a step toward resolving the impending
sustainability crisis.

I've run a food pantry, in Milwaukee, and I'll say
this: Life in food pantry lines is not much of a life.
What has to be undertaken is a thorough, complete
change in the whole way of life in America/the
industrial world such that people can sustain
themselves through their own work applied to some
patch of soil somewhere.

No, I don't see such sweeping change in the pending
Farm Bill; it doesn't move us toward having 50,000,000
farmers as Rich Heinberg suggests we need.

b.g.

Be a better pen pal.
Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail. See how.
http://overview.mail.yahoo.com/