livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Farmers, NMSU Discuss Growth

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Liz <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Farmers, NMSU Discuss Growth
  • Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 10:58:45 -0500

At 10:06 PM 12/1/2007, you wrote:

Hundreds of jars from such a small spot is at the extreme end of small
garden accomplishment. You know it can be done, and you know how. BTW you
anywhere near Wytheville, Marion, or Pulaski?

I am now. I'm in Stuart, about 90 miles east of Wytheville. But the garden I was talking about was in Virginia Beach. It took up the whole back yard, plus vining plants on the fences all around the yard, plus herbs in window boxes. I did a lot of companion planting too, carrots under the tomatoes, squash growing up the corn. We didn't get much corn out of it--they were there mostly to support the squash plants. But we did have a few dozen ears each year to eat fresh. And I also planted things that could be used in two different forms--beans that we ate fresh early in the season, or canned from the immature pods, and then the later pods would be left to dry out so we could store the beans dry. I also used succession planting, peas as early as they could be grown, then peppers or squash in the same ground later in the season. There are so many things you can do to maximize the yield from a relatively small space. And of course the growing season there is longer than out here in the mountains. The big problem was the sandy soil, and we just manured and composted like heck. There was a Mennonite family near us that had chickens and sheep--city codes prohibited that, but they had been "grandfathered" since they'd been there for decades. My kids all worked for them (and brought home wheelbarrow loads of chicken poop for the garden).

Now I have 29 acres and no time at all, sigh. I have lettuce that self-sows in some planters, and that's all. My job keeps me on the road all over the state of Virginia pretty much five days a week, and on the weekends I'm wiped out. But I'm going to expand the existing raised beds this winter and plant some things in the spring that don't take a lot of tending, like greens. And if I have the time and energy, I'm going to build some cold frames with windows I picked up from the dump. This lettuce just insists on growing, so I might as well give it some better conditions. I planted it three years ago, and haven't had to replant since. It just self-sows right where it is.

Liz in SW VA
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com