livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] New Farmers

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] New Farmers
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 19:14:09 -0600

Good points, all.  After spending a good bit of time trying to clarify my own position on national and global issues, it's time to get a bit more personal about food-raising.  Reading and discussing with others can only take you so far.  Jeavon's work isn't much help if your family won't eat the stuff that he's found to be most effective.  Ultimately, each of us has to do the hard work of deciding what we can, and will, do.  So far my own gardening efforts have been very successful, but I haven't yet figured where to go from here.  I'm thinking a new bed or two each year should be manageable.  What to plant?  Or are chickens a better choice?

Interesting point about feeding 20 - 30 people.  I don't believe I've ever seen a serious discussion of farming to feed a small group.  Seems like some specialization and barter would be in order.  Do the farmers at markets buy from, and sell to, or barter with, each other?  Or are they all focused on cash income?

E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
www.hillcountrynatives.biz