livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Farmers, NMSU Discuss Growth

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Farmers, NMSU Discuss Growth
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 12:53:55 -0600

The only way I can imagine that transition, is:

1) You OWN enough land for a home and basic garden/farm.  This can be just a few acres, and can be supplemented later with leased land if you grow.

2) No debt.

3) At least on person in the family has a secure job with health insurance or a home-based profession with flexibility (like a writer).  Outside income is important during the early years.

4) At least one person in the family has computer and/or business skills and the willingness to "keep the books".

5) You're all healthy and fit.

6) You've got some knowledge of what you're getting into.  In my view, this takes a few years of gardening and research.

Sounds unlikely...................

E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
www.hillcountrynatives.biz