livingontheland - [Livingontheland] saving and preserving for winter

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] saving and preserving for winter
  • Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 23:53:25 -0700

Still wore out from the FL road trip. It might seem silly to offer our
tomatoes to some of the wedding reception crowd in FL of all places, where
everything grows. But we did. And interestingly enough, our heirloom
Italian tomato made a hit. Of course FL growers don't grow for flavor; they
grow those cardboard hybrids sprayed with everything and shot up with
chemicals to get big quick. Had our first frost over six weeks ago but in
the ( barely heated) 50 ft greenhouse the tomato vines are still growing
higher, but fewer and fewer ripening with nights down around 30. We got too
busy for much freezing and drying, yet - hate that.

But it is the time for saving and preserving for winter. What's everybody
doing for winter? And how did fall get to be so much work when the garden's
done for the winter? Agggghhh

paul tradingpost@lobo.net

  • [Livingontheland] saving and preserving for winter, TradingPostPaul, 11/09/2007