livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] water purifying filters

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Phil Bunch" <pbunch@cox.net>
  • To: "'Healthy soil and sustainable growing'" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] water purifying filters
  • Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 05:19:32 -0800

I think you want to be very careful of any water contaminated with petroleum products. Some of them are carcinogenic in fairly small doses. Especially cyclic hydrocarbons like benzene.  If the oil slate you mention is anything like oil shale you also should be thinking about heavy metals. If I recall correctly this has been one of the problems with developing oil shale in Colorado.

Once again testing would be appropriate and a chat with an expert in environmental health issues would not hurt. In the US we say an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.