livingontheland - [Livingontheland] water purifying filters

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Douglas Willhite" <drwillhite@earthlink.net>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] water purifying filters
  • Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 06:26:26 -0800

Doug

"Lehman's has a real good filter and I've had several people tell me they like theirs.  The one they have is the Berkey.  They say it works well and highly recommend it."
J.C.
"We use a Katadyn with a reserve unit in stock in case it is needed later. As you can see by the specs it lasts a long time. The homemade version of filtration is pouring water through cloth ..which does not do a very complete job to say the least. Distillation is the best and cleanest method known to mankind and is easy to set up..I can show you very quickly if you like. Problem is that it takes fuel to heat the water to boil."
http://www.blackwatercampingsupply.com/product/GS2110070
The Katadyn TRK Ceradyn Drip Filter will treat more water than most any filter (before cartridges need to be replaced). The TRK drip water filter is a gravity feed filter which requires no pumping, hookup, or electricity. Fill the upper compartment with up to 2.5 gallons of untreated water, and it literally drips through the 0.2 micron ceramic filter elements into the bottom compartment. Simply set it on a counter in the corner and keep it filled. The Katadyn Drip water filter is the way to go for cabins, base camps, recreation sites, boats or RV's. The Katadyn TRK Drip filter comes with three ceramic filter elements (it uses all 3) which will treat up to an incredible 39,000 gallons of water."
Scott
"My understanding is that the problem things are quite small and I don't know if anything low tech can achieve that small. I get my filters from Switzerland, a slow gravity drip. The charcoal only works on city things, but even still I use a Britta down at Chili Villa. Perhaps boiling, like in distilling is a good way to go for fecal, but I don't know about automotive. Distilling also removes minerals, so that is not good for all the time use."
Nina
"Sue and I use a water system that has no filters or moving parts. It uses magnets and vortices to mimic the effect of water running over stones as it does in nature. The technology is German and the supplier is in England. We have been using the system for some time and I can tell you we have gone from having all our glassware so clouded up you could not see through it and the smell of sulfur so strong it repulsed you to now having almost crystal clear glassware and no or almost no smell. We have no filters to clean or change and the manufacturer says it is permanent. There are probably a thousand questions about the system I cannot answer, but it might suit your needs."

Tom

"In Mexicó they have a filter stone ,you just put water in it & let it drip into a container."

Joe