livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] no till

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>, Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] no till
  • Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 21:46:41 -0700 (PDT)

Mitch,

You wrote:
> .... there is approximately as much organic matter contained in the
> root system of a plant as in the top growth.  This (root) organic matter is
> widely distributed through the soil, and capable of generating humus
> at least as well as anything we do on the surface.

Some plants have more root mass than top growth.  Especially rye
can have a massive root system.  It's a petty to blow it all by ploughing.

Dieter Brand
Portugal

"E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net> wrote:
If I may be so bold as to double-emphasize a couple of Harvey's comments (often attributed to Joel Salatin, but also stated by Alan Savory):

"In order to re-establish balance between top growth and root mass after
being grazed, perennial grasses and legumes that have co-evolved with
grazing animals shed root hairs".

And,

"Also, when the roots of the cover crops die, they
decay (are consumed in place, undisturbed, by microbes) and like the
worms open channels deep into the soil".

Put these two thoughts together, and you have the concept that there is approximately as much organic matter contained in the root system of a plant as in the top growth.  This (root) organic matter is widely distributed through the soil, and capable of generating humus at least as well as anything we do on the surface.

E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
www.hillcountrynatives.biz