livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] no till

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <boxwood@nelsoncable.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] no till
  • Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 16:35:50 -0400

I live in Central Florida. Do you know if No Till is good here?

Thanks

Rhoda

As Paul pointed out, the "burning" of humus in the soil is likely even faster if you till in a warmer climate, so that is an argument in favor of no-till.

One caveat, though: Mulches are great for no-till. In your area, though, you will find that the microbes and other soil-dwelling friends "eat up" your mulch even faster than they do here in northern Virginia. So getting your hands on sufficient mulching material will be even more of a challenge for you.

If you have the space--grow your own! (A great way to both generate more mulching material and improve the soil over which it's growing.)

Good luck.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us

"How we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used."
~Wendell Berry