livingontheland - [Livingontheland] The Coming of Deindustrial Society: A Practical Response

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] The Coming of Deindustrial Society: A Practical Response
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 10:27:53 -0600

The Coming of Deindustrial Society: A Practical Response
http://www.oilcrisis.com/whatToDo/DeindustrialAge.htm

excerpts

The key to making sense of constructive action in
a situation of impending industrial collapse is to look at the
community, rather than the individual or society as a whole, as the
basic unit. We know from history that local communities can continue
to flourish while empires fall around them.

An astonishing number of people, especially in the educated
middle class, have no practical skills whatsoever when it comes to
growing and preparing food, making clothing, and providing other
basic necessities. An equally astonishing number are unable to go any
distance at all by any means that doesn't involve burning fossil
fuels - and almost no one in the developed world can light a fire
without matches or a lighter from some distant factory. Survival
skills such as organic gardening, low-tech medicine, basic hand
crafts, and the like need to be learned and practiced now, while
there's time to do so.

The good news is that this framework already exists; it's called the
farmers market movement. The last two decades have seen an
astonishing growth in farmers markets across the country - the latest
figures I've seen, and they're some years out of date, indicate that
farmers markets are a $16 billion a year industry, with most of that
money going to small local farmers. I personally know organic farmers
who are able to stay in business, and support their families on quite
small acreages, because they work the farmers markets. Every dollar
spent on locally grown produce from a farmers market, instead of
supermarket fare shipped halfway around the world, is thus an
investment in local sustainability and survival.