livingontheland - [Livingontheland] WAPF Conference in November: Harvey to present all-day track

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <boxwood@nelsoncable.com>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] WAPF Conference in November: Harvey to present all-day track
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 22:42:33 -0400

Hi All,

Most of you know of the Weston A. Price Foundation, a national (indeed, now international) organization for education on food and health issues, critical of hyper-processed industrial foods, committed to nutrient-dense traditional foods. Ellen and I are local chapter leaders--we maintain an extensive list of local producers of foods, to help them and nutrition-conscious local eaters find each other.

WAPF will be holding its annual conference Friday Nov 9 through Sunday Nov 11. The theme for the conference will be "Radiant Health for Children and Their Parents," and there will be many sessions on child health, nutrition, and diseases; nutrition in schools; vaccination; autism; asthma, allergies, and ear infections; and much more. However, topics always range far afield, so there will be plenty on agricultural issues as well, from the right to farm to effective micro-organisms to soil building and more.

I will be offering an all-day track on Friday the 9th which I'm calling "The Integrated Homestead." I am more and more convinced that success as we try to become more food self-sufficient, starting in our backyards, depends not on a one-for-one search for (usually purchased) solutions, but an attempt to create integrated patterns in which the various elements (soil building, dealing with competitor insects, poultry and other livestock, manure management, season extension and winter growing, etc.) come together in the same projects, supporting and enabling each other in synergistic ways that mimic natural ecologies.

You can learn more about the Weston A. Price Foundation at

http://www.westonaprice.org

The page for the conference per se is

http://www.westonaprice.org/conference/2007/index.html

However, that page does not have the information about the all-day tracks on Friday. For that schedule, go to

http://www.westonaprice.org/conference/2007/schedule.html

It would be great to see some of you at the conference. If you do attend, let's plan ahead to meet.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us

Whether we and our politicians know it or not, Nature is party to all our
deals and decisions, and she has more votes, a longer memory, and a sterner
sense of justice than we do. ~Wendell Berry