livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Shallow well pump

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "David Inglis" <mhcsa@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Healthy soil and sustainable growing'" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Shallow well pump
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 10:09:03 -0400

Hey Jim,
It doesn't seem to me like you would need a pump. Just fill a header pipe
with water with a shut off valve at the outlet, put the other end to the
bottom of the well. If the bottom of the well is higher than the outlet and
the pipe length from the top of the well to the outlet is longer than the
depth of the well the siphon will set itself up as soon as you open the shut
off valve even if there is air in the pipe that is in the well. The siphon
will keep going as long as you have water in the lower pipe. Lucky you.
Figure 2.2 feet of 'head' [height difference between the water surface of
the well to the outlet ] for every psi needed.
For the garden I would suggest Irrigrow drip http://www.irrigro.com/ which
leaks smaller amounts of water but is on the whole time so you are less
likely to run the well dry running higher amounts through for shorter
periods of time [this drip also does not require more than very basic
filtering, a major advantage in my book]
Good luck.
David
Mahaiwe Harvest C.S.A.

On Behalf Of anne/jim clements