livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Shallow well pump

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Gloria Anderson Haswell" <gloria@aquaponicfarm.com>
  • To: "'Healthy soil and sustainable growing'" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Shallow well pump
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 07:14:58 -0500

I would recommend a windmill.

-----Original Message-----
From: livingontheland-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:livingontheland-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of anne/jim
clements
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2007 8:14 PM
To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: [Livingontheland] Shallow well pump

Hi All,
I am looking for advice on a pump for our well.
When we bought our place there was an abandoned well,
the house now being on a community water system. The
well casing is open with two pipes that may have been
for a jet pump, but the pump is gone now. There is
water at 12 feet and the well is at least 40 feet deep
(using the string and weight method).
We would like to use the water for garden and pasture
irrigation as cheaply as possible so what we are
thinking about is some sort of hand pump that would
draw the water and start a syphon to gravity feed to
the areas where we need it.
So, the question is: does anyone know of a pump (maybe
rotary?) that would draw the water to start the flow
but then allow the flow to continue without further
pumping?
I'd appreciate any suggestions, thanks, Jim.