livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] irrigation?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] irrigation?
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 06:07:31 -0500

With so much flooding in the country's middle, we haven't been watering much.  Your situation, and that of the West and Southwest is different.

That said, I have been drip-irrigating my container nursery for years, and have concluded that not much of it is very good.  In my opinion, the problem is dispersal.  With drip irrigation, and especially in containers, the moisture develops a path, or pattern, downward, and the upper portions of the soil do not stay evenly moist.  Roots don't grow well where it is too dry or too wet (as at the bottom of the container), so I spend a lot of effort refining the soil mixture and the method of application.  Currently, I'm testing 2gph spray stakes with a 160 degree spray pattern and 2gph emitters with four microtubes and stakes.  This latter arrangement allows me to (for example) use one tube for a 1 gal. plant, 2 tubes for a 3 gal. plant, and 4 tubes for a 7 gal. plant - a very flexible arrangement for a nursery area.

For irrigation of raised beds I favor soaker hoses just under the mulch layer.  A 50' hose can make two passes in a 25' x 4' bed.  Drip emitters or spray stakes are too localized and, being above ground, waste water.  They also have the drawbacks mentioned above, as well as a tendency to clog.

I really think that the best "answer" for watering is the same as every other soil question - more organic matter!  With better water storage in the soil, watering methods became less of a problem.  Further, I believe that mycorrhizal fungi can play a significant role in carrying moisture to plants.  Mulching (especially with woody matter) and no-till practices encourage development of fungal hyphae so, once again, we're on the right track.

E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
www.hillcountrynatives.biz