livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Insect diversity (Was: Re: Synergistic Agriculture)

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <boxwood@nelsoncable.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Insect diversity (Was: Re: Synergistic Agriculture)
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 08:53:45 -0400

So, is there anything to be done to promote native (to each specific area) beneficials
and pollinators, other than the often-mentioned diversity of native "host
plants"?

E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore

In my experience, that's pretty much it: Ensure as wide a variety of flowering plants (different flower architectures, from tiny to large) at all points in the growing season (early spring to late fall). You can get as detailed as you like about matching specific plants with the insects they support, but I don't usually have the time for that. I just keep as many types of plants flowering all over our place (more and more all the time), and enjoy the throngs of insects that come to them.

Remember you have plenty of nooks and crannies you can use to boost insect diversity. For example, you can't grow most annual vegetable crops in the shade of your fruit trees. However, there are plenty of flowering plants (e.g., the pycanthemum type mints or "mountain mints") which can grow with some shade, boosting insect diversity for adjacent areas.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us

Healing the wounds of the Earth and its people does not require
saintliness or a political party. It is not a liberal or conservative
activity. It is a sacred act. ~Paul Hawken